There will be a Special Called School Board Meeting on Monday, October 28, 2013 at 4:30 p.m. in the auditorium at the School Board Office.
Last week, in celebration of National School Lunch Week, our cafeterias countywide hosted the “School Lunch Across the USA” campaign to spotlight nutritious recipes, ingredients and the hard working staff that make the school cafeterias enjoyable for our students.
The schools are working to inform parents about healthy changes in school cafeterias under the new nutrition standards for school meals. These changes are being made while we are still offering the students their favorite menu items.
The Schools are getting parents in on the fun too. Many are participating in“National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day,” inviting parents to visit the cafeteria and celebrate what’s great about school lunch.
To raise awareness of the Program, the management at the new Bowling Green cafeteria hosted County Board member Jeff Sili,Virginia Senator McDougle and our Superintendent, Dr. Killough, for lunch on Wednesday. The event was covered by the national family magazine, Kiwi. On Friday, County Board member Floyd Thomas showed his support, dropping in on the cafeteria and having a great time interacting with the students.
The fine arts department had great success at the state fair winning15 ribbons for 29 works of art submitted including 2 best in category ribbons. The winners were:
- Jacqueline Chavez Orellana – Best in show and 1st place for charcoal, pencil and ink drawing, second place acrylic painting, and third place in paper art
- Bailey Smith – Best in Show and first place in fiber art, second place in charcoal, pencil and ink drawing.
- Olivia Smith – 1st place in water color, second place in oil pastel, 2nd place in mixed media, 3rd place in acrylic painting
- Makayla Cassell – 3rd place oil pastel
- Michaela Minor – 2nd place pastel
- Amber Nadeau – 3rd place mixed media
- Jacob Schmitz – 3rd place oil pastel
- Janelle Carrier – 3rd place cartooning