Making the decision to close school for Thursday, April 6th

Good morning!

Much thought goes into the decision on whether to have a delayed opening or school closing. When inclement weather is forecasted, we closely monitor the National Weather Service to make decisions supportive of student and employee safety.

Over the past twenty-four hours, the CCPS inclement weather team considered a number of factors when making the decision to close school for Thursday, April 6th. The impending storms have caused major damage to properties in several states and maintained the potential for significant damage in this area. These storms have been extremely dangerous and while a two-hour delay addressed overnight projections, the timeline changed from early to late morning which placed the window of severe storms during our student pick-up times. Additionally, a tornado watch has been issued for the entire region until 1:00 p.m.

We understand that today’s closure may have created an inconvenience; however, the safety of our students and staff is at the forefront of every decision. We thank you for your support and understanding.