School Delays and Closing Information
Decisions for canceling school, closing early or a delayed opening are based on many factors. The safety and welfare of students are always the first priority for any decision. Inclement weather decisions are made based on weather reports, road conditions, and reports from VDOT, the sheriff’s department and surrounding school divisions. It is our goal to make school delay and closing decisions prior to 5:30 a.m.; however, weather conditions may change quickly requiring a change in status with little notice. Once the decision is made an AlertNow call for all parents and guardians goes out. The information is relayed to designated radio and television stations, and posted on the division’s website. Parents and guardians may sign up for email or text alerts through School’s Out or Caroline Alert.
School delays and closings will be sent to the media listed below:
- WTVR – Channel 6
- WRIC – Channel 8
- WWBT – Channel 12
- WCVE-FM 88.9
- WFLS-FM 93.3
- WKHK-FM 95.3
- WGRQ-FM 95.9
- WKLR-FM 96.5
- WWUZ-FM 96.9
- WYSK-FM 99.3
- WWNT-FM 100.9
- WDY-FM 101.1
- WFVA-FM 101.5
- WMXB-FM 103.7
- WGRX-FM 104.5
- WRAR-FM 105.5
For parents whose students drive to school: Please consider the safety of your child when making a decision to let them drive or ride the bus during hazardous road conditions. Due to their inexperience, many students do not know how to drive in inclement weather conditions. Our bus drivers are experienced drivers and they have a good safety record. Parents are encouraged to consider having their student ride the bus when schools operate on a delayed opening.
BGE held its first Donuts with Dads day on Tuesday October 23rd. Over 60 dads, grandfathers, uncles, and moms came out and supported their child. The “dads” were given an opening presentation and greeting from Mr. Wick and Mr. G, and then they were dismissed to class. The dads then helped their child with an activity such as math morning work, studying for the days test, or a reading review skill page. The dads even spent time helping with other students in the classrooms with their activities. A great time was had by all during this successful event!
Come out and join the Bowling Green Elementary PTA and staff for our annual Fall Festival on October 16th from 6pm-8pm. There will be activities such as the sponge toss and book walk for families to enjoy! There also will be the opportunity to be the first to reserve your copy of the final BGE yearbook. We only order a limited amount of copies, so make sure to reserve yours today!
Construction has begun to renovate BGP for a new K-5 BGP/BGE school.
Thank you to our BGE/BGP parents that headed up a Fundraiser on September 8th to earn funding for a new playground at the newly renovated BGP. It’s a BGE Family Fun Day & Picnic 5k Run/Walk.
Mr. Wick, principal of BGE, and Mr. Mack, principal of BGP, were in the DUNK tank showing their support for our schools….Lucky us!!
Jeff and Jeff from the Board of Supervisors were there as well to help with the cause and show their support!! They sat in “jail” until enough money was raised to bail them out!!
Thank you to all who came out and supported our cause!!
Donations are still being accepted.
Checks can be made out to CCPS Education Foundation. If we have any donors that would like to give more than 250.00 please let Mr. Mack, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Mr. Wick, email@example.com, know so that they can contact Naeda Gustard. She will then provide donors with an IRS letter for their taxes.
Checks can be made payable to :
CCPS Education Foundation
16221 Richmond Turnpike Bowling Green Va 22427
Thanks again for your support.
Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians:
Welcome to the 2012-13 school year! I hope everyone had a great summer, and I am excited to see our enthusiastic students returning to BGE for another year.
This is an exciting year for several reasons:
- BGE is fully accredited and it met all federal testing guidelines (the Annual Measurable Objectives, or AMOs).
- We have 8 new teachers, 3 new paraprofessionals, and a new nurse joining BGE this year. These new, enthusiastic, highly qualified staff members will help BGE become better and stronger.
- This is BGE’s last year as a grades 3-5 school as we will combine with BGP next year. We are anxiously anticipating our union with BGP in the newly renovated PreK-5 school. Be sure to drive by BGP to see the renovation in progress.
- In honor of our final year as BGE grades 3-5 there will be a final yearbook. Yearbooks will be sold by preorder and there is a limited number being offered, so make sure that you preorder your copy when the forms are released.
- BGE will be hosting this year’s Open House on August 30th from 10-12 and 4-6. Come meet your child’s teachers and the new staff. We look forward to seeing you all there.
- Let’s strive to make our last year at BGE one that is filled with special memories, experiences, and accomplishments so everyone can look back at their years here with great pride and success.
I look forward to greeting students with their smiling, happy faces on September 4th as we begin another tremendous school year at BGE.