Please join us this Wednesday, April 18th at 6pm for our Annual Talent Show. The students have worked so hard and truly appreciate your support! See you there!
- Who: Grades PreK – 5th
- When: Friday, April 20 (Rain date: Friday, April 27)
- Time: Pre K-2 9:15-11:15 3rd-5th 12:30 – 2:30
- COLOR RUN- Entire School – 2:30
What to Bring:
- Wear Grizzly Games Shirt OR any white shirt for the Color Fun Run!
- Packed Lunch ( School lunch will also be provided)
- Tennis shoes
- Blanket or towel – with name on it (Picnic Lunch)
- Please wear sunscreen
****KONA ICE will be available for $3.00. Please send in money if you would like your child to purchase Kona Ice.
Join Smart Beginnings Rappahannock for fun, educational activities to help prepare children for kindergarten, introduce them to a classroom routine, and a chance for parents to visit with special guests from area schools.
Saturday, April 14th from 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
April: Autism Awareness Month & Math Recognition Month
- 2-6: Spring Break Week /No School
- 9: Regular School Day NOW- Encore Day 5
- 13: Favorite Number Day
- 15: Flying Squirrels Game
- 16: Special Olympics @ CHS (rain date 19th)
- 16-17: 2nd grade field trip
- 17: Pyramid Concert 6:30 pm @ CHS
- PTA meeting 6 pm
- 18: Talent Show 6-8 pm
- 19: 9:30 am Volunteer Breakfast
- 20: Interims/Superhero Day
- **Grizzly Games (rain date 27th)
- 25: Administrative Professionals Day
- -CCPS County Art Show 6:30 pm @CHS
- 26: LCES Spring Fling 6:30 pm
- 27: School Spirit Day
- WHO: Any child who will be 5 years of age by September 30, 2018
- WHERE: Bowling Green Elementary School, Lewis & Clark Elementary School, and Madison Elementary School
- WHEN: April 10, 2018 through May 3, 2018 – Tuesday-Thursday
from 10:00- 2:00 by appointment only! Please call to schedule
Ready Freddy Day (National Kindergarten Day)
Thursday, April 12 th
Registration will be from 10-7pm
No appointment needed for Ready Freddy Day
For more information or to schedule your appointment please call:
Lewis & Clark Elementary 804- 448-0175
You will need a certified copy of your child’s birth certificate at
registration, proof of residency (2), and verification of your child’s social
security number. Your child will also need a current physical exam and
proof of immunizations before attending school. Forms are available on the
school website. Children who attended Head Start or any Pre-K Program
must also register for Kindergarten.
Kindergarten Enrollment begins April 10, 2018 – May 3, 2018.
Who: Any child who will be 5 years of age by September 30, 2018
Where: Bowling Green Elementary School
Lewis and Clark Elementary School
Madison Elementary School
When: Tuesday – Thursday
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Kindergarten Enrollment Day
Each elementary school will host a Kindergarten Enrollment Day on Thursday, April 12, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. In case inclement weather, Kindergarten Enrollment Day is rescheduled for Tuesday, April 24, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. All Pre-K students must enroll for kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school.
Yearbooks are now on sale for $20 each. Sale ends April 8th.
- Check (payable to STRAWBRIDGE)
- Order online here and use the online code 109482
February/African American History Month
- 2: Donuts with Dad/Super Bowl Friday
- 5: Jump Rope for Heart Kick-Off
- 6: Club Pictures
- -PTA meeting 6 pm
- 5-9: National School Counselor
- Appreciation Week
- 8: Interims go home
- 9: Career & College Sweatshirt Day
- 12-16: Random Acts of Kindness
- 12-16: Bus Drivers Appreciation Week
- 14: Wear Red Day
- 15: Reading Buddy Day
- * Parent Teacher Conferences 3:45-7:45 pm
- 16: Teacher Workday/No School
- 19: Holiday- No School
- 23: Dress Like your Favorite President Day
- 24: District Chorus Festival
- Fundraising c/o Chair color run, Treat Fridays, holiday shop, concessions bingo etc.
- Special Events dances, family events, movie nights etc.
Care about LCES
- Monday, May 14 – 5-7pm
- Tuesday, May 15 – 3-5pm
- Wednesday, May 16 – 3-5pm
- Evaluations will occur each day- Final Evaluations- 5/17-5/18 – 5-7pm
Where: CMS Gym
Students must have a sports physical completed after May 1st, 2018, in order to try out
Reminder: Spring Picture Day has been rescheduled for Friday, April 13th.
- Students and Staff return back to school tomorrow!
- Color Run Donations DUE tomorrow 4/9
- LCES PTA Meeting- Thursday, April 17th @6pm –VOLUNTEERS Needed
Friday will be Treat Friday –VOLUNTEERS Needed
Thursday, April 12, 2018
10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Bowling Green Elementary
Lewis and Clark Elementary
Inclement Weather Date – Tuesday, April 24, 2018
What to expect
• Register your child for kindergarten
• Meet and talk with school staff
• Your child will be screened at this time, so you only need to come to the school once.
What to bring
• Child’s original or certified birth certificate
• IEP, if applicable
• Legal Custody/Guardianship, Visitation, and/or Protective Orders, if applicable
• Foster Parent Verification, if applicable
• Photo ID and two documents for proof of residency
• Immunization record and completed physical form
Provide two documents from list A or one from List A and one from List B
• A deed or lease agreement to the residence
• Utility bill or new hookup/installation issued within the last 30 days (telephone, electric, cable, water, etc.)
• A letter from Rappahannock Electric or Dominion Power verifying the address
• A U.S. Internal Revenue Service tax reporting W-2 from the current year
• A payroll check stub issued by an employer within the last 30 days
• A piece of mail with new forwarding address indicated by the post office
Shop the 2018 Field Day Apparel Store! Click HERE to order!
Hurry, shops closes 04/4/2018.
Please join us on TONIGHT at 6:00 PM in the Caroline Middle School gym for our second annual Student vs. Faculty basketball game! Fifth grade students will take on the teachers in a fierce match up. The BETA Club will sell refreshments and various LCES clubs will perform at half time. The cost of admission is $2 for adults, $1 for kids, and FREE for any student who fundraised. All proceeds to go towards our American Heart Association donations. Fun for the whole family to enjoy!
- Book Fair- To find out more about the Book Fair or to start shopping, visit our homepage at: http://www.scholastic.com/bf/lewisandclarkes
- Talent Show auditions will be Tuesday, March 27th after school.
- Spring Picture Day has been rescheduled for Friday, April 13th.
More updates will be coming soon!
LCES curriculum night scheduled for tonight has been canceled.
Shop the Fair Without Leaving Your Home. Visit Our Online Fair!
Reading is the most important skill you can teach a child. Of all the skills kids learn, it is the one you can influence the most.
You are invited to shop our Scholastic Online Book Fair, where we know you’ll find great books, especially on snow days! While shopping online, you can create a wish list to send to relatives and friends, watch videos, or listen to podcasts to learn more about some of the hottest books. And, be sure to see if your teacher has created a Classroom Wish List. Consider buying a book or two from the list to keep the classroom library stocked with fresh, new titles.
Our Online Fair is available for an extended time from March 19th to March 28th. So even if you can’t make it to the Book Fair, we look forward to having you participate in our Online Fair. Remember, all online orders benefit our school and ship for FREE!
To find out more about the Book Fair or to start shopping, visit our homepage at: http://www.scholastic.com/bf/lewisandclarkes
Melise Graham, Librarian
Reminder: LCES Spring Picture day has been rescheduled for Friday, April 13th.
Heartwood Center in Caroline County and Caroline County Public Schools
2018 Weekend Food Bag Collection Drive
We will be collecting items this week ! Please bring items by Friday, March 23rd. When sending in items, please think of items that a child can prepare or microwave by themselves. We thank you in advance for your support!
Individual packaged Oatmeal
Individual sized Cereal
Cup(s) Oatmeal/Hot cereal
Mac and Cheese Cups
Tuna or Chicken Salad Kits
Pasta /Meat Cups
Sm box Raisins or Dried Fruit
Individual Cheese and Cracker packs
Dried Fruit Bars
Capri Sun (foil juice packets)
100% Juice Box
Shelf Stable Milk
Our Scholastic Spring Book Fair will be held in the library March 19th-23rd, 2018. Students will have a chance to preview the fair on Monday and Tuesday during their specials and write out their Wish Lists to share with their families. The book fair will be open during the Family Curriculum Night on Tuesday, March 20th from 5:30 – 7:00.
Students will be able to purchase books and other items on Tuesday evening, and during the school day on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (morning only on Friday).
You may wish to purchase a book for your teacher’s class library. This year we will do Teacher Wish Boxes. Each teacher will have a Wish Box with books they have selected that parents can choose from as a gift from their student.
LCES welcomed Mr. Eric Litwin on Friday, who is the author of the original four Pete the Cat books, the Nuts series, and Groovy Joe series. The songs and music were enjoyed and showed the students and staff how to incorporate music in literature. We truly enjoyed dancing to the music and are thrilled by all you had to share. We hope you can visit again soon!
Next on the agenda is the book fair March 19-23 with family night on the 20th. There are some new and exciting features: eWallet where parents, grandparents, etc. can load an account with a set amount of money for their student. The webinar covers this, too. Info will go home in another week or so to parents to inform them of the eWallet program. It becomes live 2 weeks before our book fair starts.
ELECTIONS: Nomination forms will be going home this week. Please consider joining the 2018-19 PTA as many of our loyal members will be moving on to the Caroline Middle.
SchoolKits will be offered to families again for the 2018-2019 school year. Please be on the lookout as this is a great convenience for LCES families.
Thanks again from The LCES PTA
The LCES PE Department In the month of February, our students participated in our annual Jump Rope for Heart fundraiser. Through this initiative, students learned about how to make heart healthy decisions, worked incredibly hard to learn new jump rope skills, and most importantly, put on a heart of service to raise money for the American Heart Association. So far the efforts of our students have raised approximately $5,300! WE ARE NOT DONE YET!
Please join us on Monday, March 26 at 6:00 PM in the Caroline Middle School gym for our second annual Student vs. Faculty basketball game! Fifth grade students will take on the teachers in a fierce match up. The BETA Club will sell refreshments and various LCES clubs will perform at half time. The cost of admission is $2 for adults, $1 for kids, and FREE for any student who fundraised. All proceeds to go towards our American Heart Association donations. Fun for the whole family to enjoy!
Congratulations to 4th grader Jordin Kelleher for winning 2nd place in the Epilepsy Foundation of VA art contest! This annual contest is open only to 4th graders across the state. The theme is “Use A Helmet, Prevent Epilepsy”.
Thirteen students volunteered to create artwork for the superintendent’s Rise Up for Education: Interdisciplinary Project at the high school on February 27th.
PreK student Lilyana Tennyson was selected to create artwork for a special fundraising event for Smart Beginnings Rappahannock Area, an early childhood organization.
Selected PK, K and 1st grade students will have their artwork of Pete the Cat on display in the gym during author Eric Litwin’s visit on March 9th.
Good luck to the students participating in the upcoming Virginia School Board Association’s Regional Art Contest.
March is Youth Arts Month. Students will start working on their clay projects in a couple of weeks. Donations of sandwich bags is needed and will be greatly appreciated.
A big thank you to parent volunteer Britnea St. John for cutting 22 banners for me in preparation for the CCPS art show in April!
Our final STREAM Day will be held on Friday, March 30. STREAM Day encourages students to implement creative thinking and problem solving strategies while exploring the engineering process. For this month’s building challenge, we are requesting donations of cardboard tubing (paper towel or toilet paper rolls) and small cardboard boxes (shoeboxes, tissue boxes, cereal boxes, etc.). Please send all donations to school by Friday, March 23. Thank You! 🙂
- 2: Read Across America Day/Dress Like
- Your favorite Dr. Seuss Character
- 5-16 Food Drive by SCA and Beta Club
- 6: PTA meeting 6 pm; New Board for 18-19 SY
- 9: Author Visit-Eric Litwin and Scrabble Day
- (shirt with letters or words)
- 15: End of 3rd 9 Weeks/Early Dismissal/Reading
- Buddy Day/Wear Green Day
- 16: Student Holiday/No School/Teacher PD day
- 19-23: Book Fair Week
- 20: Family Book Fair/ Curriculum Night 5:30-7 pm
- 22: Report Cards Go Home
- 21: Spring Picture Day
- 23: College Basketball Jersey/Shirt Day
- Grizzly Pride Day
- 26: Students vs. Faculty Basketball Game 6-7:30
- PM @ CMS
- 30: School Spirit Day
Congratulations to the following staff members!
- Mrs. Shelby Foltz- Teacher of the Year
- Mrs. Hilary Harrison – Novice Teacher of the Year
- Mrs. Nichole Norman – Support Staff of the Year
On behalf of the entire LCES school, we are so proud to have each of you as a valuable part of our school family. Your dedication and commitment is truly appreciated! Thank you for being amazing in everything you do!
Join us as we celebrate Read Across America Week February 26-March 2.
Monday-Read My Shirt
Wear a shirt that others can read.
Tuesday-Reading Fun in the Sun
Bring your shades, beach towels, and sun hats. All
students will read at the beach today.
Wednesday-Cozy up with a good book
Wear your pajamas.
Thursday-Oh, the Places You’ll Go
Dress like what you want to be when you grow up.
Dress up like your “Favorite Seuss Character.
Lewis and Clark Elementary Junior BETA club took eight members to the Virginia state BETA convention in Hampton, Virginia on February 13 th and 14th . Led by the school’s BETA convention sponsor, Carol Yonkin, the students competed in academic, artistic, and special talent competitions. Ryan Williams, Tyreek Bradshaw, Olivia Leicht, Ryleigh Nett, Carlie Clark, Molly Flaherty, Kaitlyn Klock, and Keagan Taylor represented LCES wonderfully and brought home several awards and honors. In the visual arts category, Ryan Williams earned first place with his digital artwork, Carlie Clark earned first place with her black and white photography, and Kaitlyn Klock earned first place in handmade jewelry. Ryleigh Nett took second place in painting, and Olivia Leicht won third place in sketching. In the special talent category, Molly Flaherty, Keagan Taylor, and Kaitlyn Klock performed as a trio and won second place. Each of these students earned an invitation to compete at the National BETA convention in Savannah Georgia this summer where they will proudly represent Lewis and Clark Elementary School again.
We are asking students to go online at heart.org/jump where they can join our school team, earn donations, make a pledge to be more heart healthy, and earn a free glow in the dark wristband. Our goal is to have 100% of our students AND TEACHERS taking their heart healthy challenge online!
We had our Jump Rope for Heart Kick-off today! The students and staff are both pumped!
This week, LCES will celebrate Counselor Appreciation Week this week. We truly appreciate them for all they do for both the students and staff. Stop by this week to say “Thank You” to Mrs. Horton and Mrs. Williamson.
On behalf of the LCES staff and students, we would like to thank our school board members for all their commitment and time to our school.
Thank you so much to each person who came to support our first “DONUTS WITH DAD”.
- When: Friday, February 9th, 2018
- Where: Lewis and Clark Elementary School- Gymnasium
- Time: 6-8pm
- Cost: $5 per student (includes entrance fee and dance photo)
Dinner will be sold starting at 5:30.
We will be looking for new officers for the 2018-19 school year. If interested please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Monthly meetings are the 1st Tuesday of each month at 6 pm in the LCES Library. We are also looking to reach out and engage our senior community in helping with LCES events. If you know of anyone that would be able to help please let us know.
Coming up in February………..
- Valentine Candygrams
On sale now until 2/9
*please help your child/children write the message to ensure delivery
- Father/Daughter Mother/Son dance
Friday, February 9th from 6-8 pm.
Doors open at 5:30 pm.
Dinner will be sold ****Volunteers needed
- Treat Fridays will be on the 1st and 3rd. We will be selling a variety of snacks and will have 2 point of sales, 1 for lower grades and 1 for upper grades.
- Looking forward THE COLOR RUN is back! This is a fun run that will happen during the school day and the kids have a BLAST! More information will be out as the kick-off date gets closer.
Dads, Grandfathers, and other important men, please join us this Friday, February 2nd for Donuts with Dad from 8:30-9:15. We hope you can join us as we share in great conversations and a yummy treat!
We are very excited to team up once again with the American Heart Association to bring Jump Rope For Heart to our school. LCES has a Kick-Off Event scheduled for Monday, February 5. The fundraising initiative will run through Friday, March 2. During this time, students will team up with the Monster Scare Squad to learn about their hearts and healthy decision making all while having fun, being physically active and helping others! Join our team and be a HEART HERO!
Sign up by downloading the Jump/Hoops App on your mobile device OR register online at www.heart.org/jump
- When: Monday, January 29th- 5pm – 7pm
- Where: McDonald’s- 8265 Ladysmith Rd, Ruther Glen, VA 22546
Join us for food and fun! Drive-Thru or Dine In. A portion of the sales will benefit Lewis and Clark Elementary. See you there!
Please join us in celebrating the achievements of our LCES Grizzlies. Our Honors Assemblies will be held tomorrow Friday, January 19th 2018.
- Pre-K – 2:00pm
- Kindergarten- 12:15pm
- 1st Grade- 9:15am
- 2nd Grade- 11:20am
- 3rd Grade- 1:20pm
- 4th Grade- 10:40am
- 5th Grade- 10:00am
Please join us in celebrating the achievements of our LCES Grizzlies. Our Honors Assemblies will be held Friday, January 19th 2018.
- Pre-K – 2:00pm
- Kindergarten- 12:15pm
- 1st Grade- 9:15am
- 2nd Grade- 11:20am
- 3rd Grade- 1:20pm
- 4th Grade- 10:40am
- 5th Grade- 10:00am