January/School Board Appreciation Month
1-3: Winter Break/No School
6: School Re-opens for Staff & Students
10: Report Cards Go Home/Scarf Day
17: Twin Day
20: No School/Holiday
21-25: VA School Principal’s Appreciation Week
22: Kids Heart Challenge: Kick off Assemblies
24: Honor Assemblies/Dress Your Best
PreK- 9:30 am
Kindergarten- 12:30 pm
1 st Grade- 1:15 pm
2 nd Grade- 10:00 am
3 rd Grade- 11:45 am
4 th Grade- 2:00 pm
5 th Grade- 10:45 am
31: School Spirit Day/PTA Treat Friday
Welcome Back and Happy New Year LCES Students and Staff!
We hope you all had a restful and enjoyable winter break! We welcome each of our students with open arms and warm hearts as we enter into our third quarter. We have so many accomplishments thus far and we are all ready to set goals for the remainder of the school year! We can’t wait to see you all this week and are ready to show some GRIZZLY PRIDE!
Monday 12/16- Holiday PJ Day
Tuesday 12/17 – Holiday Character Day
Wednesday 12/18 – Holiday Sock and Headwear Day
Thursday 12/19 – Tacky Sweater Day
Congrats to our Top 5 LCES Spelling Bee Winners! We wish them luck as they move on to compete in the CCPS County Spelling Bee on Jan. 16th.
Pictured from left to right- Ella Campbell (2nd place), Evan Linn (3rd place tie), Shanelle Esco (3rd place tie), Eleanor Javins (1st place), and Caroline Cardner (5th place).
The holiday season is fast approaching and Lewis & Clark Elementary School would like to help some of our local families. We are hosting our Annual Snow Buddy Program. In the foyer of the school, we have decorated a tree with Snow Buddies. Stop by and take a Snow Buddy from the tree. On it you will find the gender, age, and grade of a child in need. Each Snow Buddy represents one gift. After you purchase an appropriate gift, please return it (unwrapped) to the School Counseling department by December 16th.
Make sure you attach the Snow Buddy to the gift!
If you would like your child to be allowed to pick a Snow Buddy off the tree, please write a letter to your child’s teacher and include the age and gender of the Snow Buddy your family would like to adopt.
The LCES SCA will be kicking off our first service project with our annual “Warm for Winter Drive”. We will be collecting NEW PAIRS OF SOCKS, HATS and GLOVES and NEW OR GENTLY USED COATS to donate to children and adults in our community. We hope you will join our school in helping others stay warm this winter.
When: December 5th – December 18th
Where: Drop-off items in bins in the front of the school or send in with your child.
What: New pairs of socks, gloves, hats and New or gently used coats (Adults and Children)
Come out TONIGHT and join us for the Winter Wonderland Dance for a night of fun! Dress your best or come casual. Visit the photo booth station for a free photo download and be sure to grab dinner and snacks in the cafeteria.
- December 6th from 6-8pm
- $5 per student of $10 for a family
- Adults and children under 4 are free
- Cash and card accepted
- 6: PTA Fall Dance 6-8 pm; LCES Spirit Day
- 7: Bowling Green Christmas Parade 5-7 pm
- 17: LCES Spelling Bee @ 10 am
- and 2nd grade musical 6:30 pm
- 13: Red & Green Day
- 16: PTA McDonald’s Night 5-8 pm
- 19: Last Day of 2nd Quarter; Tacky Sweater Day
- 20-Jan. 5: Winter Break
- **January 6- Back to School
- From 3:45 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.
- Students will meet in the cafeteria where they can create their own crafts as gifts for the holiday season
- The cost is $5
- Registration & Payment are required to attend. Space is limited!
- Popcorn will be be provided
ONLINE REGISTRATION AND ONLINE PAYMENT are due by December 6th
Please be sure to include student name, teacher name, parent email and parent phone number in the COMMENTS BOX at CHECKOUT
Pick up will be located outside the main doors.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
Popcorn Treat Friday
November 22, 2019
All Treats are $1
On Tuesday, November 12th the School Board, Central Office Senior Staff, and State Legislators toured our building to see all the wonderful things our students are doing and where they might see a need. Visitors watched our morning broadcast of announcements in the library.
As they moved towards the Innovation Center, a few 5th-grade students were in the foyer showing the programs they had written for the Wonder Cue robot. Once into the Innovation Center, Damon, a 3rd-grade student in Ms. Dockett’s class showcased his talent for solving 3×3 Rubik’s Cubes to complete a mosaic. We call Damon our Rubik’s Cube champion! He had been discovered solving 21 cubes in less than an hour on a prior visit to the Innovation Center with his class. We are so proud of him!
November/Native American Heritage Month
- 1: Camo Day
- 6: PTA Meeting 6pm
- 6-15: LCES Food Drive; PTA meeting 6 pm
- 5: No School/Teacher Prof. Development Day
- 8: Super Hero Day
- 11: Red, White, Blue Day & Veterans Day Parade @ 9 am
- 12: YMCA Spirit Night 6-8pm
- 13: Fall Picture Makeup Day
- 14: Interims; 1st gr. Field Trip
- 15: School Spirit Day
- 21: 4th Grade Musical 6:30 pm
- 22: Career Day/Dress like Your Favorite Career/
- PTA Treat Friday
- 26: Pajama Day/Buddy Reading
- 27-29: Thanksgiving Holiday–No School
Hello LCES families,
Due to the feedback we have received, we will be collecting PAPER ORDERS until November, 15th.
Please use the attached order forms to collect orders and turn them into us with a check made payable to LCES PTA no later than November 15th.
PLEASE NOTE: Order forms received without payment WILL NOT be ordered. Online sales will remain open as well. We apologize for the confusion.
If you have any questions, please contact me directly.
Families and students at LCES are invited to an evening of recreation at the Caroline Family YMCA.
- Swimming- max 40 people in the pool per hour
- Group Fitness and cycling classes for adults
- Fitness class for kids
- Open gym for kids
Tuesday, November 12th
$5 per person or $10 for the family
We will be having a popcorn treat Friday 11/8 this month. Popcorn will be $1.
The PTA is in need of the following items:
- Juice boxes
- Hugs juice barrels
If you are able to donate anything, please let me know 🙂
Items may be left in our PTA room or in the office!
Thank you so much!
Lewis and Clark Elementary School is getting ready for Career Day. It will be held on Friday, November 22nd from 9:00- 11:00 am. Students will have the opportunity to hear about a wide range of occupations and careers from people in our community.
We would like to extend an invitation to all of our parents, grandparents, or family members to come participate in Career Day with LCES. If you are interested in sharing your job with our students, please click on the link below and fill out the form by November 4th. If you have any questions contact Mrs. Horton or Mrs. Williamson, (804) 448-0175.
- Sign Language Club – lead the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Art Award Winner
- Custodian Appreciation
- ABC Award to Sylvia Anderson – creating of the Innovation Center
- 600 Club Winners for scoring 600 on SOL tests from Spring 2019
- Report Cards Go Home this Friday!
- Goodies for Grandparents 8:15am- Join us Friday, October 18th to celebrate all of the wonderful people in our students lives that continuously show support and love as a grandparent would. We have sweets for you to say thank you for being so sweet to our students.
- We are asking all LCES students and staff to Wear Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Friday.
Our fall book fair is scheduled October 18th through October 25th. Once again, Scholastic will be offering both the Online Book Fair and the eWallet payment option to provide easy opportunities for families to shop for books with their students outside of the library walls.
Students will preview the book fair Thursday, Friday and Monday. The sale will not begin (except for Grandparents on Friday) until Tuesday, Oct. 22nd.
Teachers will be able to select books for their Wish Boxes so students and families can purchase something for their classroom libraries. These boxes will be placed along the bookcase near our check out line. Just see what your child’s teacher is wishing for and take one to buy for the classroom.
Our Evening Book Sale will coincide with the Family Night on Thursday, October 22nd. We hope to see you there!
- October/Anti-Bullying Month
- 2: National Custodian Appreciation Day
- 3: Fall Pictures
- 4: Crazy Hair Day
- 7: Stomp out Bullying/Wear Blue Day-Bully Walk
- 10: End of 1st Quarter
- 11: No School
- 14: No School/Fall Break
- 18: Report Cards Go Home/Goodies for
- Grandparents/Wear Pink for Breast Cancer A
- 18-25: Book Fair Week
- 21-25: National School Bus Safety Week
- 22: Family Night/Bookfair 5-7 pm
- 23: Unite Against Bullying/Wear Orange
- 21-25: Red Ribbon Week “Drug Free”
- 21: Wear Red
- 22: Hats off Day
- 23: Jean-ius/Against Drugs-Wear Jeans & Orange
- 24: Sunglasses Day
- 25: Favorite Team Gear
- 25: PTA Treat Friday
- 26: Glow Run 6 pm
- 31: Storybook Character Day
Fall Picture Day will be Thursday, October 3rd!
LCES kicked off our first Grizzly Pride Day after an awesome PBIS school wide assembly! The students learned how to be Great Grizzlies and leaders throughout our school! They continued the morning by completing team building activities. We are off to a great school year!!
The LCES monthly PTA Meeting will be this Wednesday , September 25 , 2019 at 6pm in the library. See you there!
COME JOIN US Monday, September 16th FOR OUR LCES SPIRIT NIGHT from 5-8pm!!
Where: McDonald’s- 8265 Ladysmith Rd, Ruther Glen, VA 22546
Join us for food and fun! Drive-Thru or Dine In. A portion of the sales will benefit Lewis and Clark Elementary. See you there!
Click here to read the LCES September/October Newsletter 2019
For grade levels: Weekly competition among grade levels for the best attendance rate each week during the month of September. Students will receive a special attendance pencil.
For classes: Prize awarded to the class with the best attendance for the month of September, McDonald’s Happy Meal Coupon!!
For students: ALL DAY, EVERY DAY reward- Students who are here every day, all day for the month will receive a special treat.
- September/Hispanic Heritage Month
- 2: Labor Day/No School
- 5: Back to School Night 5:30-7 pm/Chicken Dinners
- 6: Pop In Party-New Students/Red, White & Blue
- 11: Wear American Flag/Star Day
- 12: Interims
- 13: Favorite Color Day
- 16: PTA McDonald’s Spirit Night 5-8 pm
- 17: Volunteer Breakfast 9:30 am
- 19: Early Release/Parent Conferences
- 20: Favorite Cartoon Character
- 25: PTA Meeting 6 pm
- 27: School Spirit Day/PTA Treat Friday
Visit our Grizzly Shoppe online at http://lewis-clark-pta.square.
Visit us at https://lewis-clark-pta.square.site
for PTA events and to shop at our all new Grizzly shoppe!
Our class code is 677426 on remind!
Please share with other LCES parents that you think would be interested!
To sign up for Lewis & Clark PTA notifications, please visit
We are monitoring weather conditions for extreme heat. When there is a high heat index, elementary schools refrain from outside recess.