Pre-Kindergarten at CCPS
Caroline County Public Schools offers pre-kindergarten at the elementary level to provide school readiness skills to eligible children with the greatest need. Eligibility is based on the poverty level of family income guidelines and other at-risk factors. Parents or guardians must complete the pre-application screening form, application, and parent questionnaire Eligible children will be administered a screening inventory.
- To be eligible for prekindergarten your child must be 4 years old by September 30, 2019. (No exceptions).
- Eligible children must live in Caroline County and reside in the attendance zone of the designated elementary school (No exceptions).
- Completing the application does not guarantee enrollment.
- Children participating in the screening process does not guarantee enrollment.
- Acceptance into the program is based on eligibility and not first come, first serve.
Dates and Locations
March 20 – May 31, 2019 (Except for April 1-5, 2019 Spring Break)
June 10-13, 2019
June 17-20, 2019
Bowling Green Elementary – Tuesdays, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Madison Elementary – Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Lewis and Clark Elementary – Thursdays, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Step 1: Pre-application Screening
Complete a pre-application screening form and bring or submit to the school in your child’s attendance zone. The pre-application screening form can be picked up at the school in your child’s attendance zone.
You may also download a printable PDF version of the pre-application screening form.
Please note: After you submit the pre-application screening form, you will be notified by staff within 7 business days of your screening results. The information provided on the pre-application screening form will be used to determine if you can continue the prekindergarten application process.
You must have your child’s original or certified birth certificate with you when you apply. You will not be able to continue the application process until you have the birth certificate and required documents. Only a parent or legal guardian can complete the application.
Step 2: Application
Complete the application and bring the required documents to the school in your child’s attendance zone. The application can be picked up at the school in your child’s attendance zone.
You may also download a printable PDF version of the pre-kindergarten application.
In order for the application to be processed the parent/guardian will need to bring the following required documents to the school in your child’s attendance zone:
- Completed application with appropriate signatures
- Child’s original or certified birth certificate
- IEP, if applicable
- Income Documentation and Assistance. Check all income and assistance of the following apply:
- 1040/Income Tax Returns, Employer W-2 forms, and three pay stubs from the consecutive months preceding application
- Current TANF
- Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Child Support
- Educational Assistance
- Unemployment and Worker’ compensation payments
- veterans’ benefit payments
- survivor benefit payments
- pension or retirement income
- interest and dividends
- rents and royalties
- income from estates and trusts
- Legal Custody/Guardianship, Visitation, and/or Protective Orders, if applicable
- Foster Parent Verification, if applicable
- Photo ID and two documents for proof of residency
- Provide two documents from List A or one from List A and one from List B
- List A
- A deed or lease agreement to the residence
- Utility bill or new hookup/installation issued within the last 30 days (telephone, electric, cable, water, etc.)
- A letter from Rappahannock Electric or Dominion Power verifying the address
- List B
- A U.S. Internal Revenue Service tax reporting W-2 from the current year
- A payroll check stub issued by an employer within the last 30 days
- A piece of mail with new forwarding address indicated by the post office
- List A
Step 3: Screening Appointment
Once the application and required documents have been reviewed, the school will contact the parent to set up an appointment for the child to be administered a screening inventory. The parent will complete a parent questionnaire during their child’s screening.
Step 4: Acceptance and Placement
Once the child’s screening results have been reviewed and eligibility determined, parents will be notified (by postal mail) of their child’s acceptance status.
Please note: Children will be placed in the program based on the above criteria until all slots are filled. Remaining eligible children will be placed on a waiting list and a letter will be sent to the parents or guardians.
Step 5: Enrollment
After parent receives the letter of acceptance and health form, the parent can complete the student enrollment packet to enroll their child into the school in their attendance zone.
The student enrollment packet can be picked up at the school in your child’s attendance zone. You may also download a printable PDF version of the student enrollment packet.
Parents must bring the completed enrollment packet and items required for school enrollment to register your child for prekindergarten.