Due to the weather, we will be moving the Caroline/Patrick Henry football game to Monday 9/4. The game will start at 5:00.
At the start of each school year, there are many notifications that schools are required to make. Some of these are included in the Student Code of Conduct, student handbooks, and other documents. If you would prefer to have a paper copy of any of the information or notification documents, one will be provided upon your request by contacting your child’s school or the School Board Office (804-633-5088).
Dear Parent(s) or Guardian(s) of CCPS Students:
On Monday, August 21, 2017, the moon will pass between the earth and the sun for the first coast-to-coast total solar eclipse since 1918. Millions of Americans in 12 states will be able to watch this solar spectacle that will turn day into night for a few brief minutes. Virginia is among the 12 states that have been declared to be a “best place” to experience this rare phenomenon. Because prime visibility will occur in the Richmond area between the school hours of 1:00-4:00 p.m., Caroline County Public Schools will implement the following schedule modifications and educational opportunities to ensure the safety of our students and staff:
On Monday, August 21:
- All students will report to school/class at their normally scheduled time.
- Outdoor recess for elementary students will occur prior to 1:00 p.m.
- Elementary students will dismiss at 4:10 p.m. to ensure safe travel after the completion of the solar eclipse.
- Middle and high school students will dismiss at their normal times. Safety tips related to the solar eclipse will be provided to all secondary students prior to departure.
- Should a parent be concerned about his/her teenage driver being distracted by the eclipse while behind the wheel, a written excuse to depart at 12:00 p.m. must be submitted to the CHS office.
- All after school activities will remain inside until 4:10 p.m. Please note, the evening activity bus may be delayed by 10-15 minutes due to the altered elementary departure time.
- While CCPS has instituted appropriate precautionary measures, should a parent elect to keep his/her child home for the day an excused absence will be granted with a parent note. DOWNLOAD: CCPS Solar Eclipse Opt-Out of Viewing Form (PDF)
Schools have planned activities surrounding this “once-in-a-lifetime” educational opportunity. The level of participation will vary by campus. Classroom activities may include integrated instructional activities, watching the live NASA broadcast, and/or viewing the eclipse using school provided official eyewear. Solar eclipse glasses brought from home will not be permitted. Schools selecting to view the eclipse will be sending home a parent permission form.
NASA and The American Astronomical Society have outlined safety measures for viewing the 2017 solar eclipse. Please go to the link provided for additional information: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety.
As always the safety of our students is in the forefront of every decision. Thank you for helping us make the 2017 solar eclipse a safe and memorable educational opportunity for Caroline County Public Schools’ students.
CCPS Instructional Department
A special called meeting of the Caroline County School Board will be held in conjunction with its annual board retreat on July 27, 2017 at The Hanover Tavern to discuss informational items and approve to convene into closed session 3:00 p.m. in the Arch Room.
CMS plans to hold a football conditioning camp on August 3rd and August 4th, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.. Football tryouts for the team will be held on August 9th and 11th from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.. If your child is a rising 7th or 8th grade student planning to attend, please have the child ready to participate with the appropriate dress attire for outdoor exercises and running. Parents are encouraged to provide transportation for their child to and from practice as bus transportation is not provided.
All students participating in a sporting event held during the 2017-2018 school year must obtain a sports physical. Students wanting to participate in football must bring a copy of their sports physical by August 9th. No child will be allowed to attend tryouts without a physical. Sports physicals are available on our district website.
If you have any questions, please contact Dwayne Parker for further details at (805) 501-9614 or email@example.com. We look forward to your child’s participation. Let’s look forward to a great season…
“We Are Caroline”
August 9 – CMS 6th Grade 6:00-8:00 p.m.
August 10 – All Elementary 4:00-7:00 p.m.
August 10 – CHS 5:30-8:00 p.m.
August 10 – CMS 7th/8th Grade 6:00-8:30 p.m.
August 11 – CMS 11:30 a.m – 1:30 p.m.
August 11 – CHS 10:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m.