Caroline County is located on the Eastern part of the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Northern piece of the country borders on the Rappahannock River, notably at the historic town of Port Royal. The Caroline county seat is Bowling Green.
Caroline County was established in 1728 and was named in honor of Caroline of Ansbach, wife of the then reigning King, George II of Great Britain. It is the birthplace of the renowned racehorse Secretariat, winner of the 1973 Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes; the Triple Crown.
As of the 2010 census, the county population was 28,545, having more than doubled in the last fifty years. Caroline is part of the Greater Richmond Region.
As of 2015, there are about 4,200 students enrolled in 5 schools. There are 3 elementary schools (grades PK-5), 1 middle school (grades 6-8), and 1 high school (grades 9-12.)
Reaching New Heights Together
The mission of Caroline County Public Schools is to provide a world class education through engaging, inspiring, and affirming all learners.
- Improve student attendance.
- Reach all students of varying abilities.
- Hire staff to meet the needs of diverse students.
- Ensure high academic achievement for all students.
- Improve communication and the image of schools.
- Foster positive morale and climate in Caroline County Public Schools.
- Student learning comes first.
- Teamwork is the key to success.
- All individuals are treated with respect.
- Diversity is understood and appreciated.
- Communication enhances understanding and trust.
- Education is depended upon the support of the community.
- Monitoring performance and providing feedback lead to improvement.
- Caroline High School (Grades 9-12)
- Caroline Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- Bowling Green Elementary (Grades PK-5)
- Lewis & Clark Elementary (Grades PK-5)
- Madison Elementary (Grades PK-5)
As of September 27, 2016:
- Total Enrollment (PK-12): 4402
- American Indian or Alaska Native: 10
- Asian: 23
- Black or African American: 1213
- Hispanic/Latino: 347
- Native Hawaiian / Other Pac Islander: 10
- White: 2416
- Two or More Race Categories: 383
School Quality Profiles
Virginia’s new School Quality Profiles provide information about student achievement, college and career readiness, program completion, school safety, teacher quality and other topics of interest to parents and the general public. Report cards are available for schools, school divisions and for the commonwealth.